PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Walton Beach

icenine35
05-08-2006, 02:21 PM
I was planning a trip down to Ft. Walton Beach, FL this weekend which is near Destin on the Florida panhandle. A buddy of mine has a beach house, and that was my primary motivation concerning the location, but I'm not really limited by that. What I want to find is a good location that will have better winds than other areas in the vicinity of the Mississippi, Alabama, or western Florida panhandle coastline. Does anyone have some insights or suggestions? Thanks...

www.XLKITES.com
05-08-2006, 11:59 PM
This time of year the seabreeze is the primary wind generator. It is usually a consistent southwest wind that is rideable most afternoons. If the thunderstorms build up inland, they can generate a good 15-20 mph along the coast. But it a few miles east or west can make all the difference. For example, it can be great in Ft Walton and dead 50 miles east and west or vice versa. So with the beach house in Fort Walton, you might as well take your chances and ride here. The riding spots can't be beat (when there's wind) and the natives are friendly. Get with us at www.XLKITES.com to hook up with the local crew.

If you want to travel and try for better odds, Dauphin Island (barrier island south of Mobile) and Appalachicola/Cape San Blas usually do better than average for wind. We can put you in touch with our customers who ride those areas also.

Michael Percy
www.XLKITES.com

icenine35
05-09-2006, 12:39 AM
To be honest, I'm not against getting a room in Mobile if Dauphin Island lives up to its reputation. If you don't mind, I would like to get in touch with folks in AL who might be able to point me in the right direction. I live in Memphis, TN so it would be a little bit closer drive-wise. Thanks.

www.XLKITES.com
05-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Sure, email us directly (info@XLKITES.com) and we'll put you in touch with the riders over there. To protect them from spam I won't put their personal info on a public forum.

Michael Percy
www.XLKITES.com

keenand
07-16-2006, 10:31 PM
I am moving to the Pensacola area for a 3 - 4 month detail that may take me through the beginning of next year. I'm new to the sport and still taking my licks here in the San Francisco Bay Area where the wind is pretty consistent during the season May - Mid-September. I was wondering how long the season is in the Panhandle and if there are launch sites close to Pensacola - I guess more importantly launch sites for beginners with nice long beaches to go downwind. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

gatts322
07-18-2006, 09:53 PM
XLKITES are great people. I highly recommend them. They've been extremely helpful and patient with me while I've been learning the sport. All their instructors were nice and Mike is always willing to help. Go with them if you decide to ride in Ft. Walton.

vic
07-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Is the shop where Harry's used to be?