PDA

View Full Version : New Providence Thermal Winds?

ricki
05-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Do you guys get thermal winds over there to speak of? That is regular winds that crank up somewhat regularly at certain times of the year as the land starts to heat up in late morning or afternoon? Cabarete gets these but they seem to amplify trades that are already in the area. During the day anyway. At night the "undertaker wind" dampens out the nearshore trade winds often enough.

Anyway, are thermals much of a factor on your island?

They can be hit or miss in Florida. Some years, distantly in the past it seems, they cooked off regularly. We "may" be seeing a come back now. More at: http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=638

Anyway, hope you guys are getting some good wind time on the water over there.

balloonboy
05-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Yes! Sometimes almost doubles!

Cranks up from 5 knots to almost 10- but usually just under kiteable levels. :wink:

mocean
05-08-2006, 12:40 PM
2 years ago we had an awsome summer mainly thermals
the morning would be like a mill pond and by about 2 in the arvo it would be 15kts toward 6pm it would pick up more for a hour or so.
the water is so hot at the moment arround blue hill and coral harbor it's like little kids are pissing in the water arround you.
moyle muncher had an idear on the thermals. you will have to ask him the questions.
right now I just have a vibe.
the trade wind moved last summer to the area of cat island and longisland it 15kts everyday there and hardly a drop of wind here.
this year the SE wind has come early so I think that we have our summer trade back.
aj

balloonboy
05-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Hope you are correct, sir.

moylemuncha
05-08-2006, 08:32 PM
sea breeze = hot land mass causing air to rise which in turn draws surface wind in from cooler water

because of it's latitude and the large land mass to the West, Cabarete gets 15 knot E trade wind plus 10 knot E seabreeze = lovely

Nassau is small and has cooler water to the North and West so we get a
10 knot SE tradwind plus 5 knot NW'erly sea breeze = crap

sorry - is just my humble hypothesis

I am hoping global warming screws it up

ricki
05-11-2006, 02:29 PM
sea breeze = hot land mass causing air to rise which in turn draws surface wind in from cooler water

because of it's latitude and the large land mass to the West, Cabarete gets 15 knot E trade wind plus 10 knot E seabreeze = lovely

Nassau is small and has cooler water to the North and West so we get a
10 knot SE tradwind plus 5 knot NW'erly sea breeze = crap

sorry - is just my humble hypothesis

I am hoping global warming screws it up

Yes, I think land mass plays a big part in this as you say. Still, some smaller islands do get periodic thermal and gap winds. How much is the tough question.

The direction of the primary land mass relative to the trades and wind amplification may be more complicated too. La Parguera, PR is near the SW corner of the island and yet may have even stronger easterly winds than Cabarete. It certainly is arid along the south coast. Also, the winds are stronger in Cabarete from local reports than at points further to the east. Something about the shape of the coast and inland topography or something.

Also, a LONG time ago when I still disliked wind with a passion (messed up UW viz), we had honking strong afternoon winds on the barrier reef off Cap Haitian, Haiti every afternoon. There is a huge land mass to the south and still some to the west. Cabarete is well to the east. We were looking for the entombed remains of Columbus' Santa Maria in the barrier reef off of Cap. Never found it but did get a prime case of the Christophe's.

You aren't supposed to get much in the way of thermals over water but it seems you can in the flats around the Florida Keys at times. I have seen birds coring thermals there. I would think Andros might cook off with thermals, maybe. Have you guys experienced anything like that?

moylemuncha
05-16-2006, 06:01 PM
I was predicting Andros might be good for thermals but a group of us went over there this time last year and didn't get much joy. I was surveying locals and the most positive response was from a nice old guy running a beach bar :-

"it always get's windy on Sunday (afternoon)"

absalutely amazing spot if there is proper E wind. North Andros has 90 miles from North to South x 1/2 mile of shallow, flat water between barrier reef and beach. If you know there is a front coming and looking for virgin spot - is the place to check out.

Long Island (Bahamas) is my next quest. The last time I was there I was not a kiteboarder - and it was flat calm on the East Side for a day or two - and the locals were going crazy (fishing and diving) on that side because they all claimed it was very , very rare that it wasn't howling and rough on that side

BigR
06-06-2006, 08:25 PM
aj

These are mostly Thermal winds set up in the late afternoon west side of FL during dry summer months ( sometimes ).

We will try to cast the wind net over the Bahamas way.

I told you, U R always welcome to come riding over here, we'll show U the best spots.

CONGRATS on your new Baby Girl!!!!!!

Say Hi to Shuman! Lori says Hi!

R

mocean
06-07-2006, 06:14 PM
we just need the thunder heads to nick off and the weather to settel and we will be back in biz.
I just put a post up on balloon blower I'm out here.
about a trip to brasil for the fksa forum guys and girls.
I recon it would be rad to get everyone together and put some faces to forum handles.
and get to ride in a rad spot.
I know that alex fella from best is a wanker but he's got a good place in brasil offering gaented wind and good accomidation.
I would like to put together a trip who's in and spread the word.
aj