PDA

View Full Version : Yo Bryan, saw your post on nwkite, have we met?

sputnik
05-02-2006, 12:09 PM
hey saw you're coming to the gorge, I spent the winter in sarasota with the WI crew, maybe we can hook up in da hood , river that is
Gene

ps congrats Billy

bryanleighty
05-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Ya man.. myself and my friend Dan should be up there the last week of June / first week of July. My dad lives about 30 miles from Hood River. I grew up in Oregon.. whole family is there.

I am trying to make them all understand that I am flying across the country to kite and *if* I can spare some family time, then they should all feel lucky.

:)

I'm super excited.

I'll post to ya when the days are finalized. Should be set in a couple weeks or so.

Know any where in the area that rents boards? Dont want to have to bring ours over if we dont have to.

-Bryan

sputnik
05-02-2006, 12:33 PM
try big winds in hood river, they might rent, and for a fact used to demo boards

BigR
05-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Yo Bryan, easy to find rental or demo boards there, Big Winds does, But WHY?

It'll be zero to cheap to bring one versus renting one which would be $35 a day??? :shock: :roll: :cry: :oops:

Even if you rent it you still have to lug it around, I would reccomend a 130-140cm board as the only board you'll need

toby wilson
05-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Isn't the charge to check a board on a plane something like $50 or $100??? Just interested to know what they are charging now...they were charging $50 for a surf board several years ago when I longboarded...

BigR
05-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Depends on the airline and the size of the board and destination and how nice you are

When I travel to / from puerto rico on american airlines I always get charged no matter the size of the board

When I travel to the Gorge with my small board I hardly never get charged for a small board

Advice, pack small underweight packages and tell 'em its a wakeboard or wakeski or boogieboard:lol: That'll almost always get the small boards thru gratis :D

toby wilson
05-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks!!!

BizB
05-03-2006, 08:20 AM
FWIW - when I flew down to Florida last week, I put my Jarvis 148, my pump and my impact vest into a Burton snowboard bag (166).

http://www.bizb.biz/images/2006-02-16/2006021606.gif

On the way down, I was asked "Is there a snowboard in the bag?" and I was able to answer "Yes" because I had but my daughter's board in there. On the way back, no questions asked. No charge either flight.

Flying to Florida in April with a snowboard... that's not so odd.

bryanleighty
05-03-2006, 08:22 AM
is there a "difference" to the airline if its a snowboard or a wakeboard or a kiteboard???

i know that many companies have the "golf" bag.. thinking of getting one of those. maybe even hitting some thrift stores to see if i can get a golf bag to accomodate gear..

BizB
05-03-2006, 08:46 AM
Yeah, the "difference" is $50.00 each way. I was all prepared to call it a kite-ski if they asked.

bryanleighty
05-03-2006, 08:50 AM
difference between a snow vs wake? really!?

or snow/wake vs kiteboard?

golf bag may be the way to roll.

also considering having my dad buy plywood and just making boards the first night we are there. could bust out a few simple ones in less than an afternoon. just bring pads and straps and leave the boards there when i come home.