PDA

View Full Version : Onshore Wind and Distance

Eagle
04-29-2006, 10:01 PM
There were some incidents at the east beach this morning where for whatever reason, kiters were too close to the beach and had some close calls. The wind really cranked up between 10 and 11 am and a few people found out the hard way that mother nature, traction kites and onshore wind can get nasty.
Common sense says when the wind is onshore or close to onshore, distance from things that hurt, maim and sue is a pretty good idea.
If you crash in the water following a jump, transition, wind jacking up or a look ma no hands and you or your kite crash and/or gets dragged onto and across the beach, you might be too close to the beach.

Teaching in onshore wind on or near the beach is something that should not be happening at East Beach, there simply is not enough space for this to be even remotely safe.

300 feet is ample room in reasonable conditions to regain control of an out of control kite and situation.
Distance is your friend.

Kite safe

E

Optionryder420
04-29-2006, 10:05 PM
Who was that by the way?

I was in my car when he got drug across the grass and stuff, from where I was it looked like he was going to hit that SUV.

Eagle
04-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Wasn't there but when someone does get seriously injured out there it won't matter who there are but rather what they are, a kiteboarder.
This could potentialy create access issues and then we're all going to suffer.
Injure a bystander and we will see changes, for the worse for certain.

Optionryder420
04-29-2006, 10:12 PM
The guy jumped and then fell and his kite just kept on looping.

Didn't hit the QR until he was already dragged and on his feet...

I'm just happy he didn't hit the SUV!

I do my part and stay well off the beach, the water is flatter there :D

Eagle
04-29-2006, 10:22 PM
I do my part and stay well off the beach, the water is flatter there :D

You sure do and I wish more people would do the same. Especially the ones who are the most talented and admired by aspiring kiters, beginners and others.
Its monkey see monkey do.

We are all guilty of it, human nature.
Human nature and getting schooled by hard knocks is why there are emergency rooms and personal injury attorneys.

Skyway Scott
04-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Staying out a ways is always a good move.
We have a fiew guys who take this too extreme at the skyway... and stay a full half mile or more out. That's a long swim...... :x

Hey, any one get one of these shred ready helmets?
They look cool, and that is important while being safe (at least I think it helps)
If I had a cooler helmet, I might wear it more.
I recently saw the website. They look nice, some have visors sort of built in.
In addition, in the winter, mine freezes my head off, literally, cuz the air flows thru the holes. I am talking super chill... joke.
Anyway... looking for a review.

The girls helmets look sweet too, might get Donna a baby blue one or pink one.
http://www.shredready.com/products/vixen.html

toby wilson
04-30-2006, 09:03 AM
Yeah, I posted something about Shred Ready a few weeks ago. I have an army green matte finish Shaggy and it rocks!!! DEFINITELY worth the investment to save your melon!

http://www.fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=1506

On a crappier note, my right hand was a casualty earlier yesterday morning. Steve and I got to EB around 6:30 AM and rode for an hour or two before it started to die off. I was holding my ground a little better and having a great session. I had decided that I was on my last tack in due to the falloff in the wind so I was gonna take a rest until it picked back up. I was trying to work my way back upwind as much as possible so I did'nt have to walk too far before landing my kite. I was edging as much as possible and caught my heel in the water. I started to spin in the air and put my right hand down to brace my fall. Bad idea. Something on the bottom of the ocean sliced a gash in my palm. I had to get 5 stitches in my hand at the ER and can't ride for 1-2 weeks! :x I was nowhere near shore though, Mr. Eagle taught me proper safety precautions!!!

My hand hurts like a bastard this morning and my palm is REALLY swollen...THANK GOODNESS FOR PERCOCETS!!!

I hope everyone has fun today at EB and the SW, I have a free ticket to go with my parents and see the Boston Red Sox beat up on the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and it will be nice to spend some time with my 'rents... I may stop by EB after the game later in the afternoon to see how everyone is doing. Enough of this E-Bone caliber post though, I am sure you are all thoroughly bored of reading this by now. Happy riding and try and keep it safe all!!!

T-Bone :lol: :lol:

bryanleighty
04-30-2006, 09:36 AM
heal soon Toby. not too much wind in the forecast so at least that should make you feel a wee bit better.

thursday at cypress i kicked at a dead fish head at the beach to move it.. end result, one of its gil fins put a 2inch gash in my foot through my booties! hurt like hell. no stiches.. but every step i take , i get a little reminder.

ow.

toby wilson
04-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Will do and you too Bryan! That sucks abut both your foot and the wind but I just got the bladder in for my 20.5 Machine and I expect the 25.5 Machine to show up sometime early this week...I'm gonna be jonesing to get out on them in these light summer winds!!!

Wish I was out riding with you guys instead of sitting in front of this computer...

Skyway Scott
04-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Injuries suck. At least it is 2 weeks and not 6 months. (Yep, I once had to go that long cuz of ACL surgery)

How do you size your helmet? Should I just call them, probably?

toby wilson
04-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Just go get one of those sewing tape measures and wrap it around your head to measure it. You should then call them and the guy will advise you on model and size based on what you are looking for and what you are looking to spend on your helmet...

Optionryder420
04-30-2006, 09:46 PM
You guys all missed it today... biggest jump I've EVER done...

Seriously, it was like 30 feet up...

The wind gusted at JUST the right time. I went up, and up, and up, and up... then down slowly.... it was freakin awesome. One guy saw it and was like "whoa, didn't know the wind was that strong out there!"

It definently wasn't, but the wind was kinda strange today...

Super stoked just on that one jump... tried to recreate it throughout the day while the wind died.

David
05-01-2006, 07:48 PM
I have taught many of students and emphasize the safety margin of staying away from the shore and setting limits. I have actually implemented into my courses a sit down session where we watch the other riders and have a "do that but not that session". For all those with bumps and bruises, KEEP SOME DISTANCE !!! I say this as I have ice on my leg and antibiotic cream all over my foot from an evening session up in my neck of the woods.

Chicks dig scars yet I sit alone.

Learn from our mistakes and stay safe.

Stevil Kenevil
05-02-2006, 07:50 PM
I got a sandburn on the side of my leg when I was a newbie, transitioning near the beach while diving the kite, and taking a knee on the sand.(Feet still in straps) I had a HUGE scab the size of a slice of pizza for quite a while after that stupid move.I learned to stay away from the beach that day!

Shallow water will hurt you quick also. Ask Toby's hand..... All he did was brace his fall in shallow water, and slicccceeeee.....5 stitches. I have ran aground in the shallows by the Skyway and jammed my shoulder, putiing me off the water for about 2 months ,and no stylin' for about 4.East beach and Skyway get dangerously shallow quite regularly.

Another safety recomendation,especially for greenies, is a Slingshot Surefire spreader bar. One slap on the QR button and you are free!(plus the spinning leash is nice) If I know I am about to get worked, I hit the release and throw the bar.(no unhooking required). I havent gotten yoked since I got it. All of the above mentioned kiters could have benefitted from one of these, instead of dragging across the beach.

None of us are getting any younger, and we should all spend time stretching before and after a good session, and at home as much as possible. Dr. Joeseph Will (Chiro Joe) is a chiropractor as well as an IKO instructor. He has written a nice 40 page booklet(covering all muscle groups), on stretching/preventing kiting related injuries. Contact Chiro Joe at: QUIROPREGUNTAS@yahoo.com to order a booklet($7.50) or to ask him questions. Booklets also available through the IKO.

Use common sense, and live to kite another day!