PDA

View Full Version : any reviews/opinions on the SS LFT 167x49

inferno
04-17-2006, 09:33 PM
thinking of getting one for my light wind/wave board, my 144x39 just doesnt cut it at 200lbs

Skyway Scott
04-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Is that the big red white and black thing with the SS star on it?
If so, its average, at best, IMO. I think a skimboard is a good choice.
Cheap, fun and light wind machine. It helps your balance, too.
(I fully expect to see you with the LFT now) :D

inferno
04-18-2006, 05:09 AM
skim boards are great but my home made "door" is better...
im looking for something that i can use on light (underpowered) days in waves/chop, at my wieght my boards just to small for wave riding, plus the guy is selling it $150 so i figure its worth it if its in decent shape....right?

toby wilson
04-18-2006, 11:57 AM
For that kind of money why don't you just throw in like another hundred dollars and try to work something out with Trent Hink on an Anomaly Danny??? I have never actually rode one but Tom SWEARS by his!!! And I think they are pretty customized to your liking...plus, it'd be brand new instead of used!!!

inferno
04-18-2006, 12:18 PM
ive ridden them and they are great :D boards but your talking over twice the price, and you all keep forgetting that i dont have any money :cry: , if i did id already have me a 9m 'ROO' :shock: , so i have to find deals where ever i can....
plus this boards is almost 2inches wider and 10inches longer then the anamoly, its also 3cm thick which makes it extra floaty so it should be good for riding/carving waves(more like a surfboard than kiteboard) which is what i want

Optionryder420
04-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Length and Width don't make the board much better... more in design.

Plus, past a certain length and width you'll lose low end.

inferno
04-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Length and Width don't make the board much better... more in design.

Plus, past a certain length and width you'll lose low end.

not sure id agree with you, ive been underpowered on my 21m riding a 144x39 and i saw another guy riding a 13m on a 10ft kayak :shock: ,.....i know its not the same but i dont think you lose low end with a bigger board, but youd lose some control in higher wind and the ability to hold the edge when over powered in chop,
and i dont think the boards to big for me, maybe for a 150lb rider but not a 200lb rider, but thats my opinion so it might be wrong :shock:

bryanleighty
04-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Dan and I made 3 kiteboards this weekend. From 1 piece of plywood we were able to put together a long Glide-like board, a medium sized 135ish and 120cm wider board.

We've been riding ply boards since day 1. I do have a 160 board I got from ebone that helped me a lot, especially in heavy chop and waves.. its got quite a bit of rocker so I need to be powered up more on those flat water days.

The ply boards we put together in the past, we tried to do the multilayer, adhesive inbetween and putting in a rocker, etc. but I'll tell ya that our little *test* board RIPS. its just a piece of plywood, cut very very crudely into a kinda-kiteboard shape and then sealed with marine varnish. It flies upwind. no rocker, and just heel side fins.

I cannot wait to put our new boards to the test. We spent a lot of time working on the shapes and getting some killer edges cut. Also the graphics we're going to be putting on them should be eye catching. I'll take some pics ASAP and post.

All in all.. 3 board cost us 35$ for the ply and another 20 - 30$ on sandpaper and varnish. Paint optional. Pretty time consuming .. but what else are you going to do on a non-windy Sunday?

-B

inferno
04-18-2006, 01:08 PM
i got my glide replica, its 155x50, best light wind board ive ridden but you cant ride/carve waves (or even go through big chop) on a piece of ply that well and thats what i want the board for mainly, i built a vice to add pressure to my ply board, every few days i have to turn the bolts a few turns to tighten them which flex's the tips of the board but not the center which keeps the middle of the board flat to plane better, but will slightly bend the tips up to help stop it from nose diving

shawnwar4586
04-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Danny try a surf board. I use a 6'' 1' and the thing rips. See if you can find one cheap in the 5'' 8' to 6'' 2 range you can go smaller if you want. But surf boards kill in light wind chop especially waves. Plus they scream up wind like no other board ive ridden. DO NOT PUT STRAPS ON IT. It makes it harder to gybe and when starting out you put your back foot in front of the traction pad then move it back. Once you are up and riding on it you stay on it pretty well with the surf wax. Many people around here have seen me ride it and there pretty fun. GET A SURF BOARD you wont regret it at all.

toby wilson
04-18-2006, 01:11 PM
I need to learn how to build these darn things so I can save up for some bows or another larger (25.5) Machine and maybe some smaller Octanes!!!

Skyway Scott
04-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Like I said, I anticipate seeing you on it, regardless of inputs received from other riders.

This is just my opinion, but spending money on sub par stuff, when you can spend more (a couple hundred) for excellent equipment is a mistake made far too often. Last free advice. :?

toby wilson
04-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Now I agree with Scott!!!

inferno
04-18-2006, 01:16 PM
thanx scottie, like you always said, you shouldnt pass up a good deal, right?
i can always pass it on to a newbie for what i payed for it, im sure somebody will get good use from it

Skyway Scott
04-18-2006, 01:20 PM
You just won me fifty bucks, thanks Danny.
(I bet a guy you would get it) :D
We get bored playing tables sometimes and get side bets going.
Yep, there it is, transfer to Netteller, he didn't welch. I figured he was a man of his word.

BigR
04-18-2006, 01:29 PM
congrats on your keen observational skills of the herd Scott!

Danny , the 144x39 I think is more of a mid-wind all around board for people our weight, prolly 13/14+ knts.

13/14 kts and below I use specialized equipment like a 158x42 MC or a surfboard type directional w/ straps.
I'm thinking that the surfboard will go upwind more and plane quicker than any twintip type board will ( from lotsa experience ).
Plus they are much more fun and will improve your skillz

inferno
04-18-2006, 01:40 PM
i agree, but i cant use a surf board in heavy/big chop, ill lose it the first time i hit a wave and go airborne (unless it has foot straps but id rather ride a twin tip), also a surfboard cant be ridden in 6inches of water, plus kite boards are easier to throw in my car as oppossed to my 6'2" surf board in my garage (not to mention the melted wax all over my car)

Skyway Scott
04-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Last two observations, then I focus on money.
When are you going to be encountering big chop and waves in 12 knots or less in St. Pete?

Some people ask but don't listen.

Okay, I am outta here.. this guy is loose and gambling, gotta hit it before he goes broke.

shawnwar4586
04-18-2006, 01:47 PM
I hardly have ever had a surf board fall off my feet. The only time I have ever had one fall off my feet is when I launch off the top of a wave which is solved by grabbing the board. It has never fallen off my feet in just chop.

Skyway Scott
04-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Why do I even?

http://www.iwindsurf.com/buysell/classifieds.pl?db=kiteboards&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=29457&query=retrieval&photo_size=full

inferno
04-18-2006, 02:08 PM
thanx scottie,
but i dont have $350......remember
im talking about spending $150 total on the LFT

toby wilson
04-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Danny,

My advice is to just save the $150 and wait until you have enough for a used Glide or a MC or something. You may have to wait, but believe me...it'll be well worth the wait!!! I feel your pain. When I first got into the sport (we got into the sport about 10 days apart I think, you just progressed a lot faster :oops: ) and was paying a $1300 mortgage and a $400 car payment on top of all of my other bills (school loans, utilities, homeowners association, insurance, etc.) all on my own salary with 2 jobs, I put my tail between my legs and BEGGED my parents for the money on loan for my UG MC 158. It ended up being a birthday gift (the best damn birthday gift I have ever gotten), but my point is that either borrowing or saving is the best way...otherwise you'll just end up with someone else's mistake and you have made it this far on your homemade board, right? I'll let you ride mine when I am resting while you are saving, just don't make a mistake and buy a board you will regret buying man...

BigR
04-18-2006, 03:46 PM
My directional board hardly ever ever comes off my feet! I even get big jumps with 'em sometimes.

I do use straps/ no wax please!

six to 12 inches of water I do occasionally get better aquainted with the turtle grass

Optionryder420
04-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Then again BigR, who doesn't at those tides?