PDA

View Full Version : trainer kite help!

salomon3636
04-10-2006, 11:24 PM
sorry for the cofusion about my trainer kite but i live in oregon and we get about 10 mph or maybe 20 mph max here so if i got a skyfoil 220 would it be safe to train and maybe jump a little with my skateboard and possibly on feet? or is it just a horrible idea in the first place.?

ricki
04-11-2006, 04:52 AM
sorry for the cofusion about my trainer kite but i live in oregon and we get about 10 mph or maybe 20 mph max here so if i got a skyfoil 220 would it be safe to train and maybe jump a little with my skateboard and possibly on feet? or is it just a horrible idea in the first place.?

Your original choice would be fine for a trainer. You WANT a kite that has little pull for the purpose. Despite the weaker pull, they are often FAST however.

Mountain board kiting is a whole sport all in itself. I bet there are quite a few guys that have at it fairly regularly in parts of Oregon. You might try to hook up with some of them for ideas. I would work on kite control for a while before trying it with the board. You will likely slam in pretty hard at times once you first start working with the board. Guys typically wear helmets, pads, gloves, shoulder/back pads, etc. for land traction kiting. Think of BMX body armor and you might be inline with what some guys gear up with. You'll see why once you give it a try on the board.

The size kite you will need for land traction will largely be a function of the surface you're on. Some say a 2 m kite might be large enough. Your power needs are far less than for kiteboarding on water or in powder. It is a good place to start to try to get the kite handling skills down.

Some more info appears at:
http://www.mtbz.com/landkiting/landkiting_faq.htm
http://www.kitelife.com/archives/issue37/kgb37/index.htm

Sol-flyer
04-27-2006, 10:24 AM
dude,

im in oregon, where are you located? i can show you a couple of thing if you need some tips?
i got a 3m slingshot that is perfect for the dirtboard scene...i've gone like 25-30mph with it,..enuff to get speed wobbles and scare the crap ouuta me :D

personaly i would'nt get anything less than a 3m,...only cause its still gonna be a fast kite,...only ur gonna want more pull for getting air, my 3m barely gets me off the ground in 20mph wind.

and cause its oregon, the wind here is a lot more gusty (unless ur at the hood river or the coast) so please wear any protection you got...helmut is a must, gloves are essential...elbow and knee pads you might consider...think motocross... :lol: its that burly!