PDA

View Full Version : New to forum and kiting

RobA
03-26-2006, 06:25 AM
Hi folks,

My name is Rob. Just took some lessons a couple weeks ago in Cabarete. I am sailing around the eastern Carib on my little 28' sailboat. Kiting seemed to be the perfect solution to the days when I can't scubadive or spear fish.

Besides an introduction...I was reading some of the injury stats stuff.

I had 8 hours with 2 differnt IKO instructors. Everytime I launched I was hooked in. Reading stuff here, am I understanding it right that its much safer to launch unhooked?

I'm sure I can learn a lot from reading posts here, but thats a starter question for me.

-rob

ricki
03-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Hi folks,

My name is Rob. Just took some lessons a couple weeks ago in Cabarete. I am sailing around the eastern Carib on my little 28' sailboat. Kiting seemed to be the perfect solution to the days when I can't scubadive or spear fish.

Besides an introduction...I was reading some of the injury stats stuff.

I had 8 hours with 2 differnt IKO instructors. Everytime I launched I was hooked in. Reading stuff here, am I understanding it right that its much safer to launch unhooked?

I'm sure I can learn a lot from reading posts here, but thats a starter question for me.

-rob

Hello Rob,

Yes, IF you have a proper downwind buffer from hard objects and people, launching AND landing unhooked would have saved a LOT of guys injury or worse for many years. Some of the newer systems don't lend themselves to launching unhooked without a bypass leash. Solution ... get a bypass leash, simple! You need to practice this a bit including adjusting your trim strap for the maximum amount of depower that still allows stable flight. In launching unhooked you should be able to just let go at anytime, have the kite fall to the leash and game over no big deal. Practice solo emergency landing ... dropping your bar in light conditions to get used to the sensation and mechanics WITH a large, clear downwind buffer.

Have fun,