PDA

View Full Version : All Terrain Kiteboarding!

Polaris
03-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Is anybody out there kiteboarding on land in South Florida?
I just got an MBS Ambush mountain board (nice starter board) and am looking to try this but I’m not sure who is involved locally or where to do this. Tamiami Airport looks great but I don’t think the pilots would be happy. 8)
[/b]

ricki
03-22-2006, 04:57 AM
Is anybody out there kiteboarding on land in South Florida?
I just got an MBS Ambush mountain board (nice starter board) and am looking to try this but I’m not sure who is involved locally or where to do this. Tamiami Airport looks great but I don’t think the pilots would be happy. 8)
[/b]

I would avoid doing this anywhere near airports for reasons you may already know. This situation has resulted in problems elsewhere. You need a large, fairly flat area. Large enough to hopefully avoid other people and possible complaints. Some parks (not Crandon) and university grounds "may" still be used by some for traction kiting purposes. Further up the coast some do this on the beach although I seem to recall some issues coming up in the Daytona area over this. Our beaches aren't large, hard or unpopulated enough for mountain board kiting. Avoiding people and complaints will go a long way to avoiding this sort of problem. Another approach might be to look around Miami-Dade County on googleearth for large, flat undeveloped areas. They're out there!

Polaris
03-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks Rick (Airport was a joke) and always wear a helmet.

500EPILOT
03-23-2006, 08:15 AM
You want to check with Fransisco of Skybanditz, I think he does all terrain instruction and may know where some good spots are.

Polaris
04-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Great advice Rick and 500Epilot. I’m surprised I haven’t heard from anybody else. I’m planning on doing some recon this weekend down in South Dade. If anybody has any advice or knows a place to gather, let me know. I can’t imagine I’m the only one down hear looking into this.