PDA

View Full Version : Area Beach Cleanup

Eagle
03-18-2006, 09:17 AM
Let’s get the ball rolling organizing a beach cleanup for an upcoming windLESS weekend.

We could conclude the clean up with a cook out, wakeboarding, etc...
Fort Desoto has been mentioned and there are a few other locations which would benefit from a good spring cleaning.
I was out at Shell Key Preserve yesterday and there is quite a bit of debris in the dunes and along the beach.
East Beach is looking pretty good, however the dead sea grass is starting to return, and unfortunately it won’t be long before the red tide returns there as well.

The metal signs at East Beach have been topic of discussion lately and there is a proposed idea to lobby the park maintenance department to relocate the signs away from the shore and closer to the road.
What do you think?

Kite safe

Eagle

slingshot05
03-18-2006, 01:51 PM
that sounds awesome

you know i'm in to clean up the beach, i'll come with you just like last time.

ricki
03-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Excellent idea! Riders have worked towards securing access in many areas through cleanups. It shows the authorities that riders can be concerned, responsible and will work to support their launch area. Doing these things on a regular basis, a couple of times per year or more really hammers these points home with some of the folks that make decisions.

C. Moore
03-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Eagle is always count me in..

bryanleighty
03-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Absolutely count me in and put me down for a couple helpers I can bring along as well.

Can bring some rakes, wheelbarrow or two, lawn trash bags, etc..

How much of an issue would that be to ask the Ft. Desoto folks to relocate the metal signs? Is that like asking them to modify their beach for our benefit (safety).

-Bryan

toby wilson
03-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Would love to make it and help clean up the beach again but I will be in the Keys praying for wind because if there is none, I get stuck snorkeling with my girlfriend... :? :roll: :oops:

Traded with Steve giving him a king sized bed for his 15M '04 Fuel so I will have something reliable to ride while down there! It should be GREAT if we get some wind!!!

If you guys want to put it off a week, I would be more than happy to help...

bryanleighty
03-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Dont think a date has been scheduled yet for this..

Think he was just trying to rally the troops for a weekend with no wind in the forecast. This weekend will prob be out of the question as it looks to be kickin!

I'll help out any day. Wind or no wind.

Eagle, are you going to post this on Tom's kite forum?

-Bryan

tomstock
03-28-2006, 09:26 AM

Eagle
03-31-2006, 10:32 AM
This weekend isn't looking so great for wind and if this is the case Saturday/Sun might be good days for some cleaning and fellowship.

The boat hull inside the flat at the northwest Skyway is going to be removed from the water and the launch area on both sides of the highway are going to be picked up.

There will be a jon boat to assist with removing hazards from the water.
The NW launch site would benefit from additional space by removing the tree stump which can be done with a chainsaw and a few come alongs.

A group of us will be out there at 9 am tomorrow, wind or no wind. NW Skyway.
We need trash bags.

Cya

Eagle

talzz2
03-31-2006, 01:19 PM
Are these beach clean ups going on all the time or just once in a while, I have a wedding to go to but would like to come help if you do more in the near future.

-jonathan-

BigR
03-31-2006, 02:53 PM
Talzz,

Probably on an inpromptu basis, as announced.

Don't dismiss the possibility of a westerly seabreeze setting up in the afternoon. This time of year is getting into prime time for these :mrgreen:

bryanleighty
03-31-2006, 02:55 PM
9am Saturday!

I'm in. Brining at least one more.. maybe a few.
I'll get some garbage bags and bring some tools (rakes/shovels/etc)..

-Bryan

slingshot05
03-31-2006, 08:40 PM
i'll be there! along with one more.

also i'll have some tools too.

ricki
03-31-2006, 09:14 PM
I'll miss out on your cleanup down here on the southeast coast. Please take some photos and I'll put them up. We should have a more readily accessible photo gallery up for your use soon.

Great concept guys, have fun!

Eagle
04-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks to those who showed up this morning despite the short notice.
The main objective was to remove the steel death blade from the flats.
This was accomplished, the metal was relocated to the channel and the oyster clusters were placed around the mangroves among an existing oyster bed. Nothing was removed from the water.

There is still a section of boat remaining, it is marked with a green/white crab trap buoy.
Most of it has been flattened and covered with silt, would hurt to step on however the threat of serious injury is now gone.

bryanleighty
04-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Keep me posted for the next clean up. Dan and I will be there again.

Definitely a difference in the hull of the boat.. but still needs to remain marked.

Anyone riding out there.. make sure everyone is aware of this hazzard.

Also, if anyone notices that the marker that Eagle put in place is missing, let us know so we can ensure another gets put in its place. (Even an empty milk jug or something to alert riders and fishermen would be great)

-Bryan

E-Bone
04-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Good job, fellaz, sorry I missed you. I am painting my living and dining rooms today so I was unable to attend. Thanks for making backside Skyway a better place for all of us. That area by that sunken boat was an accident waiting to happen for anyone who kited, waded, or swam near it.

C. Moore
04-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Sorry I missed out. Since I will be out of town next weekend I had plenty of things to do around the house. Sorry I wasn't there Eagle. :cry:

ricki
04-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Great job guys. I hope someone took some pictures as I would like to play up your actions a bit in this and some other forums. It is a great way to work towards preserving access. If someone has some shots, please PM ricki so that I can put something together.

toby wilson
04-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Sorry I didn't make it. Eagle, give me a ring next time if you don't see me reply. I'd like to help and am glad to do whatever I can!!!

Eagle
04-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Hey everyone there is plenty to clean so don't feel bad for not making it,
there will be another cleanup towards the end of the month/beginning of next month.
Would be great to have a no wind morning cleanup followed by an afternoon kite session and cookout on Shell Island.

Speaking of Shell Island, there were a group of kiters who camped out there this weekend and if you haven't been out there you are really missing out.
The state clear cut a section of Aussie Pines, cut and stacked it in piles for campers to burn. How often do you see the state contribute to beach bon fires? :D

bayflite
04-03-2006, 11:38 AM
i'll tell ya what needs to be cleaned up around st. pete.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh nevermind

too late now.

ricki
04-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the hard work guys and to Mercedes for the great shots (below) and to Eagle for organizing all this.

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album170/3_G.sized.jpg

Eagle filled me in on some of the details. This was an approximate 14 ft. steel boat hull in the shallows off the Northwest launch area at the Skyway Bridge. Also, there were large clusters of oyster shells around the hull. The hull was moved out of the area and the oyster shells relocated to a nearby oyster shell bed.

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album170/1_G.sized.jpg

Phase II of the cleanup is to include removing debris from the east and west sides (beaches and mangroves) of the northern Skyway Bridge approach.

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album170/Cleanup_2.sized.jpg

Great job guys and THANKS!