PDA

View Full Version : Jensen Beach Shark Migration in Effect

flylow
03-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Today (3/19/13) near the Jensen Beach power plant 1,000 of spinner sharks...with a 10 foot hammerhead from the chopper. Also up at Fort Pearce inlet on Northern side of the jetty...loads of spinners seen. Off the beach in Jensen a 4 foot thresher caught. Heads up.

ricki
03-20-2013, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the report. Do you see them concentrate around the power plant much? I know the warm effluent attracts manatee but wouldn't think sharks would necessarily follow suit. I was speaking with some FAU researchers doing aerial surveys of the blacktip migration through your area. I think their funding is about to run out for more flights. You might touch base with them on your flying observations.

http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=10379

A young surfer was bitten on the hand off Bathtub Reef earlier last month from something that may have been involved in the migration.

Today (3/19/13) near the Jensen Beach power plant 1,000 of spinner sharks...with a 10 foot hammerhead from the chopper. Also up at Fort Pearce inlet on Northern side of the jetty...loads of spinners seen. Off the beach in Jensen a 4 foot thresher caught. Heads up.