PDA

View Full Version : Potential kiting problems on Miami Beach

Windnsea87
12-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Im passing this along..

Greetings Miami kite community-

I am writing to alert all Miami area kitesurfers that there is the potential for the City of Miami Beach to alter city code that could restrict or banish kitesurfing from portions of Miami Beach. You have already been down this road at Crandon, Matheson-Hammock, and recently at Hobie Beach. We don't want this to happen on Miami Beach. Let's be extremely PROactive and get the word out to be as safe and respectful as possible to everyone on the beach and in the water.

It appears that city officials are hearing complaints from residents, beach goers, and a few from surfers, about kiting within the surf zone. These people have not necessarily been threatened, but feel intimidated by our lines and kites passing overhead. Onshore conditions force us into this situation we have here at MB. It has been my experience that the City of Miami Beach is much more reactionary that proactive in addressing potential problems, and they are reacting. Surfrider Miami is currently in the process of meeting with city officials to sort out board sports issues within the city code, and how Ocean Rescue enforces these rules. Recent changes in city administration have resulted in the city mandating Ocean Rescue (and the lifeguards) to enforce city code as it is written literally on the books. We at Surfrider feel it is therefore necessary to push the city to update and modernize city code to reflect the current beach environment and allow Ocean Rescue flexibility to adapt to the ocean conditions of the day. However, in our discussions, kitesurfing and potential problems continue to come up. It appears that the popularity of our sport and our increasing numbers on the beach have reached a point where we must conform to some type of guidelines, OR ELSE.

As current Vice chair of Surfrider Miami, I am reaching out to you for assistance in 1) getting this word out on the beach immediately, and 2) providing me with contact numbers, emails to organize an open meeting to discuss this issue and what type of kiting guidelines might be established, formally or not.

Surfrider Miami is meeting with city officials in early Jan to try and expedite the discussion process on board sports issues. Surfrider membership primarily consists of surfers with little knowledge or allegiance to kiting. It is therefore imperative that the kite community get involved. As a regular kiter on 63-64th St, I am fighting for kite friendly policy in whatever changes are made to city code. But I cannot and should not speak for us all. Please get the word out, and assist me in organizing the local community to maintain safe kiting access on Miami Beach. Thanks!

Regards,

Scott Stripling
Vice Chair
Miami Chapter
Surfrider Foundation
787-565-4486

ricki
12-13-2012, 07:49 PM
I received it as well and put in a call to Scott this afternoon and left him a message. Haven't heard back yet but hope to help keep things going. I had been keeping in touch with a kiting concern over on Miami Beach who gave me the impression that the City had lost interest in kiteboarding there since the last blow up. Apparently this is not the case?

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/25035_10151172463248199_702552931_n.jpg