PDA

View Full Version : Newbie want to byt kite best deal?

Water
06-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Hello to all first I want to say that I'm just getting into this sport. I never rode a surfboard and i cant Rollerblade nor can i skate. I already took few kite-surf. No being on the water yet. The instructor recommended a 10m or 12m Cabrinha switchblade kite. I had seeing really good review about the Slingshot Rally and RPM. I being searching for the best price and here are few kites I found and i Need your advice and recommendation.

1- Cabrinha switchblade 10M 2010 for $550 (Almost newt comes with the safe ISD depower system that Cabrinha has patented, lines and bag.)

2- Cabrinha Switchblade 2011 14M. $800 (Includes bag, pump, and bar. All in excellent condition)

3-14m Slingshot Rally 2011. $900 (Includes bar and lines which
are in good condition)

4-2009 RPM 10m $550 Used less than 8m. Great shape!
12m $650 Used even less. Superb shape!!

5-2011 Slingshot Rally 10m New $1000 (comes with stick control bar with lines, backpack, Jena J XL Double Pump, kite patch kit )

6-2011 slingshot RPM 9M New $760 (comes with bar and lines)

Out of all this kites which one will be the best Choice ? Remember I'm new and I will need to get a board too so what board also do you recommend?

Thank you and I hope you guys can help me out.

Oh I just purchased a training HQ kite to go to the beach and practice too

ricki
06-23-2012, 08:52 AM
What skills did you cover in your lessons to date? How did the lessons go?

In selecting a kite it would be good to know how much you weigh and where you plan to kite, part of state, ocean, sheltered water, etc.?

Water
06-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Thank you RickI for your reply I forgot to give out my weigh and high. I'm 5'8" weigh 163 pounds. I live in New York City so I'll probably be kiting at Gilgo Beach in Long Island probably at this location which is close to me http://www.plumbbeach.com/ and maybe staten island. I paid for a package of
2 hours Theory Class, 3 hours Flying Lesson 1, 3 hours Flying Lesson 2, 3 hours Water Lesson 1. so far I took the theory class, 3hours flying lesson 1, and about 2 hours flying lesson 2.

ricki
06-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Good, I would stick with your lessons. I would get those out of the way before worrying about what kite and board to buy. You should have a chance to use some different sized kites and boards giving you a hands on feel for what you like. I haven't kited Plumb Beach before, if the winds are like off Long Island, you will probably use a 9 or 10 m a good deal of the time at your weight. Again, that is an important part of your lessons to get a feel for what works for you. Keep us plugged in on how things are going.

Water
06-23-2012, 06:53 PM
@RickI thank you for your advice I appreciate it. Yeah plumb beach I never seing swimmer there I just had passed by and saw people kitesurfing its a narrow space

ricki
06-23-2012, 08:02 PM
We fought to preserve access to kiting there some years back. It is a popular place with some NYC kiters. There are some good spots up that way, take care of them.