PDA

View Full Version : Dressing warm for paddling when the weather turns cold.

tking3
12-05-2011, 10:21 PM
When the wind and water start to turn cold so do most peoples interest in getting out and having a SUP session. But, there are a couple of reasons why you may want to reconsider putting away the board and paddle just yet. First, some of the coldest days will be the one’s that are most peaceful and quite you’ll have all year. Second, if your looking to improve your physical conditioning working out in the cold is a plus. Also, continuing to get exercise outdoors through winter is shown to help improve your mood! Lastly, the more you get out the better your odds are of getting those really awesome SUP sessions that only the Die-Hards get to experience.

To help get you prepared, here are some tips on how to dress and things to remember when the temperature drops.

Always file a float plan! Regardless of whether your paddling alone or not its important for someone ashore to be aware of your program especially when the conditions are cold.
Stay hydrated! Even though it may seem like its not as important drinking water is a must. You still sweat when its cold and you’ll want to keep up with the recommended 9cups (women) and 13cups for men.
Protect your extremities. Most body heat will be lost from your ears/head, hands and feet. Protect yourself and stay comfortable by taking a hat, gloves and probably some neoprene boots for your feet!
Layers are your friend. Common sense right? Yes, the colder it is the more you wear. But its important to wear the right stuff and in the right places. First, if your likely to be in the water; say if your surfing or doing a downwind paddle its probably a good idea to wear some neoprene and a PFD. But if your not fleece, spandex and windproof garments are your go to items. Look for materials that have wicking properties and stay away from cotton. You’ll want to remember to layer evenly on the top and bottom so you can keep mobility and stay comfortable on your upper and lower body. Wearing a bunch on top will result in sweaty pits and cold legs!

Lastly, the coldest time of your SUP session will be when you first get out of the car and when your breaking it all down to leave. Don’t let that stop you, when its cold you just have to prepare a bit more so take a heavier jacket and something warm to drink when you get back.

I hope this helps you get more time playing in the Wind and Water this winter. If you have specific questions contact me and I would be more than happy to make some suggestions about gear that I find particularly valuable when the weather turns cold!

All the best,

Tim

http://www.FloridaBoarder.wordpress.com
http://www.floridaboarder.com