PDA

View Full Version : Groupon and Kiteboarding don't mix!

Steve-O
11-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Decided to pull my post.

I think the title says it all and I will leave it at that.

Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
11-10-2011, 03:47 PM
I agree 100% Steve-O.
Since business is business, he does have the right to do what he wants. I personally see it as an underhanded way to take prospective students from quality instructors, but once again, it's his right to be a snake.

Just as it is my right to clown him for all eternity....;-)

I'm a little shocked that he used Fort Desoto's address as his place of business- he lives down in Bradenton and should go back there and take his 300 Kook-on students with him!

We have had a remarkably smooth season so far in the south county- simply because "the others" have been going to Skyway instead of East Beach. I am quite happy with the current arrangement and hope it stays this way.

www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

ricki
11-11-2011, 05:41 AM
Steve-O it sounds like a problem, not only for the "students" but also for the kiting community in general. A six to one ratio in many stages of instruction is far too excessive and will result in a poor learning experience perhaps even a dangerous one for the students depending on how things work out. I hope potential students ask appropriate questions in advance and learn what they are likely in store for. More about interviewing instructor prospects at: http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Some groupon deals are genuine good deals both for the consumer and for the vendor. In other cases the rates have obviously been jacked up and/or the content reduced. Providing the appearance of a deal while offering a substandard product or service is wrong, buyer beware as always.

kiterdrew
11-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Just wanted to set a few things straight about what I see out there at the skyway. I'm out there more then the common bear;)

This 6:1 ratio is truly false. So skip the drama there. The only time I've ever seen Kts with up to 6 students he not only had 2 instructors but spent the first 45 mins on land in a class room all together. This is the only time when its a larger group then 3, its only on land. And he still had 2 instructors. How many people do you guys teach at once in your class room setting?

The lesson lasts 4 hours min. Its not a clock issue. Making a safe student is what is important. Steve is the most stoked instructor out there making the student have a great time away from thinking about a clock.

I know when I started I didn't have money for 8-10 hours of instruction. And being realistic Groupon gives a chance for someone to try it before investing more money into lessons.

Not everyone leaves a lesson after 4 hours certified as a level 1 kiteboarder. Everyone learns differently.

Time to go ride:cool: Its windy!

Steve-O
11-11-2011, 09:33 PM
---

amikite
11-12-2011, 06:57 PM
The Tampa bay area has always had a great number of responsible veteran riders with concern for safety and access. As well it should be, as we enjoy one of the nicest areas to kite in Florida with the least regulation. This should be protected, the right way!
In 1999, I went looking for for info on kiteboarding and was directed to a guy named Daryl in St.. Augustine who worked in the state park renting out kayaks and stuff. He promptly told me to get a trainer kite. Several years later I was riding upwind and able to control jumps. A few years later I got "certified" as an instructor.
I never took a lesson, no one did, as there were no instructors, nor kite shops, nor governing bodies for the sport, at least that I could find. I have always known and been aware, without someone telling me, of the apparent risks. I have also had my fair share of learning experiences and done stupid stuff.
In the early years, out of excitement of seeing another kiter, we'd go up and introduce ourselves and share info with them and be each others eyes and
ears and talk face to face with people.
That is how you give and get respect.
Years ago, the guy you are bashing came up to me and asked me face to face about becoming an instructor and then took the steps necessary in order to call himself an instructor. I have watched him over those years and we have both learned from each other. I have never seen him with more than three students at a time nor do anything I wouldn't do. So get your facts straight.
When it comes to instruction and students it's not black and white, you constantly adjust to conditions and students as they progress and change.
And as far as groupon goes, I did not realize the local kite community is attempting to govern how one markets themselves and strums up business. We should be grateful that newbies have many options with a great number of qualified instructors in the area.
Nobody is perfect, but if you have a bone to pick do it like we used to, face to face with a little respect, rather than behind a screen name and an i.d. Kind of ironic but the same tool you guys use to hide behind with your negative ranting and raving wasting innumerable time and energy, is the very same tool others are using to create positive, safe, and affordable kite lessons to others whom may never have any other chance to experience this great sport.
Let's keep it in perspective.
John Purdy

Steve-O
11-13-2011, 07:03 PM
John,

Your post is exactly why I removed mine.
I did speak with Steve on the phone and we had a very productive conversation.

Your right in that marketing is none of my biz hence why I removed my thoughts.

As far as facts, I'm just going by what one of his students told me.

Why would I make it up. Doesn't matter because I'm straight on this end.

I work tirelessly on protecting access and I hope all instructors do the same.

Have any of you thought of starting a club like we did in North county? What r u guys doing down there to protect access?

Finally I don't hide behind Screen names as it shows who I am from the onset.

Steve-O
11-16-2011, 07:56 AM
If I know one thing to be true in this sport, there r those that get it and those that don't.

To John: We have never met and would like to someday but I don't spend much time riding or teaching near 6 lane highways.

I'm and also struggling with your last statement about ranting and raving. This forum original purpose is all about safety and access. I admittedly have concerns about Groupon and kiteboarding and apparently I am not alone. Furthermore I have used this forum for a variety of reasons. Lately it has been a valuable tool to promote a new project of mine Kite4Kids. This turned out to be a very successful fundraiser for All Children's hospital of St. Pete and expose folks to all these great Watersports in the bay area.

Don't confuse passion and concern for ranting and raving.

Finally how is one supposed to have a Face to Face conversation about something if you don't ever see each other? I never see you, so it would be pretty tough to discuss face to face don't you think.

Eager to hear about what steps you have taken to protect access in your neck of the woods. It is my belief as instructors we take a leadership role in protecting access along with the help of fellow riders, park officials, city officials, and shops. There is a level of transparency throughout all of North County. Safety signs have been made and posted permanently. Ride maps have been created and distributed for all to see. Relationships have been formed with governing officials to deal with problems before they get out of hand.

So I guess you can say I have been busy giving back. I sort of see Groupon as a take. How would you feel if I sent a bunch of instructors to your teaching spot and offered lessons at half the price you were giving them at? I do actually think we have to work together as an industry, but I am certain I stand alone in that area.

Steve-O

Danimal8199
11-16-2011, 12:13 PM
I know how passionate you are Steve-O and the same with the man formally known as BoBoTheSafetyClown. Both of you guys are fine examples of instructors taking initiative and doing good things for the sport and community. Thats not to say others that are or aren't instructors don't pitch in. My friend has never held a trainer kite or paddle boarded and still volunteered for Kite4Kids.

My thoughts on the groupon for kiteboarding are that so many people bought it, at the time I saw it was 120 with over half a day left, that there would be more of a scheduling issue for the buyer than anything.

I imagine try scheduling 150 lessons over the course of the season wouldn't benefit the buyer that much. On the other hand, the redemption rate will probably be semi low so it actually might make the guy a lot of money without having to actually give lessons. Who knows???

amikite
11-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Call me when you grow some balls.