PDA

View Full Version : What size?

dantheman
09-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Hey, I'm an IKO certified kitesurfer and I weigh 200 lbs. I kite off of Miami, Florida. What kite size is right for me from the following?
a.) 2011 LF Envy 12 meter
b.) 2011 LF Havoc 14 meter
c.) 2011 Best Kahoona 13.5
d.) 2011 Best Taboo 14 meter.

Also, what board size is right for me from the following?
a.)2011 Best Spark 135 or 140 cm.
b.)2011 or 2012 LF Edge 136 cm

Thanks in advance!
-Danny

ricki
09-26-2011, 06:48 AM
Danny,

I am not familiar with the Liquid Force kites and nor the model year Best kites you mentioned unfortunately. Kite performance characteristics can sometimes change significantly from year to year. I would strongly recommend demo'ing the gear before you buy if you can. Most brands are arranging demo's in various areas these days. We aren't into wind season in the southeast yet anyway, so you should have some time to decide.

For a rider at your weight in lighter to moderate wind conditions you will want something around 13 to 14 m in the newer kites. You will want a larger (wider and a bit longer) board for the same conditions. As the winds pickup in speed you can back off on both kite and board size. You will want a smaller kite for stronger winds. With luck we will have such winds in the coming wind season and you will not want to be going out way overpowered with a 13 or 14 m kite.