PDA

View Full Version : probably a dumb question, but...

beach
03-30-2011, 11:37 PM
I'll be on the gulf coast in late June this year- Panama City, St petersburg, vacationing with the fam. Should I bother bringing a kite? I just assumed its hot summer doldrums down there at that time... but thought I'd ask the locals.
Cheers, from the Gorge!!!

skempthepimp
03-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Don't know as much up there but down here in tampa that is prime thunderstorm season. U may be able to catch a sea breeze but when those clouds form watch out. The storms are usually in full strength by June 8th in this region but that could vary some as we are a couple hundred miles south and east. Naturally, if u bring a kite there will be no wind and u won't use it, if u don't it'll blow every day in epic proportions. Hope that helps.

CrazyJay
03-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Check NOAA ( http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php?mz=gmz830&syn=gmz800 ) the day b4 u leave. If it's not calling for 15 and up then forget it. Direction doesn't matter. We have beaches for every direction.

Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
03-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Skemp nailed it on what to expect. You'll be lucky to get a couple of hours before the thunderstorms hit. Wicked nasty weather sometimes, but I think last June or two provided some good riding opportunities (if you're not chained to a desk.:p)

Hit me up for a session and I will loan you some gear at no charge (thanks for checkin' in with the locals first.;))

You can find complete launch site and downwinder trolley information for the Tampa St. Petersburg area here:

www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

(813) 389-3683 Steve S.

beach
06-18-2011, 05:01 PM
thanks for the comments. I'll eyeball the forecast and then decide whether to pack the 15m. I love the thought of being able to ride somewhere without a wetsuit, so I tend to get overly optimistic about the wind. I'll probably just end up SUPing with the kids. fun either way!