PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about coming to Islamorada

Danimal8199
02-28-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm thinking about coming down from Tampa/St. Pete to ride Thursday and Friday. I have been down at Whale Harbor with the Tampa/St.Pete crew on two occasions before but was just wondering how things were looking for those days.

Ikite is calling for some good wind and the right direction and accuweather is saying there could be some showers. Is it worth it??

Danny

ricki
03-01-2011, 05:09 AM
Looks pretty good in the NWS forecast with a strong system coming through* That is about the only forecast I take seriously for this part of the state myself as it is manually checked. It is even better that it is supposed to come in on Wednesday, giving you a chance to evaluate things before leaving Tampa. It may not develop as much or might come as predicted, hope so.

* Wednesday Night...Northeast to east winds near 20 knots. Seas beyond the reef building to 4 to 7 feet. Seas higher in the gulf stream. Seas inside the reef 2 to 3 feet. Nearshore waters rough. Isolated showers.

Thursday...Northeast to east winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas beyond the reef 5 to 8 feet. Seas higher in the gulf stream. Seas inside the reef 2 to 4 feet. Nearshore waters very rough. Isolated showers.

Friday...East winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas beyond the reef 6 to 8 feet. Seas higher in the gulf stream. Seas inside the reef 2 to 4 feet. Nearshore waters very rough. Isolated showers.

Saturday...East to southeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas beyond the reef 4 to 6 feet. Seas inside the reef 2 to 3 feet. Nearshore waters choppy. Isolated showers.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?map.x=250&map.y=205&site=mfl&zmx=1&zmy=1

noel
03-01-2011, 09:50 AM
The forecast looks insane from Wednesday thru Sunday. It's about time too. Starting tomorrow afternoon thru Saturday is a solid 20-25 knots and mostly east winds. The only thing that sucks is the low tide in the middle of the day. Have fun and stay safe!

trailtow
03-01-2011, 10:20 AM
ya it is looking sweet leaving school thursday morning so should be down there friday morning gonna be a great start to spring break

rando1994
03-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Low tide is totally ridable. The channels have fairly strong current but are very smooth, even in windy conditions. As the tide rises, the very shallow flats remain smooth and are awesome to ride... Was there two weeks ago and the riding was ridiculous!

Danimal8199
03-01-2011, 01:22 PM
What is there to do for schits and giggles on a thursday night?

noel
03-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Low tide is totally ridable. The channels have fairly strong current but are very smooth, even in windy conditions. As the tide rises, the very shallow flats remain smooth and are awesome to ride... Was there two weeks ago and the riding was ridiculous!

Yes it is rideable but there is a difference in how low the tides are around full moon. If you are riding the flats, please stay off the flats if the are exposed. I use a skimboard when it is that low.