PDA

View Full Version : kiting Florida in Mid April

davramenko
03-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Hey all,

Can somebody tell me if Florida is a good destination for kiting mid April?

I'm looking for
1. good safe launch area. ( have a beginer with me)
2. Flat to chopy (some waves are OK , but prefer not to)
3. winds 15+ knots

Can anybody suggest a destination? Which beach? which part of Florida etc..

any info is appreciated.. Maybe you can point me to a post that describes all that alreay..

-Regards,

Dmitry.

venice
03-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Hey,
You picked a good destination. I recommend the Tampa area. Good spring breezes with mutiple launch sites for wind direction. Many sites are knee to waist deep water, great for beginners! Of course the folks in Key West will have another valid opinion. Best of all the kite community is very supportive. Where ever you go, go with a smile ! !

ricki
03-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Hey all,

Can somebody tell me if Florida is a good destination for kiting mid April?

I'm looking for
1. good safe launch area. ( have a beginer with me)
2. Flat to chopy (some waves are OK , but prefer not to)
3. winds 15+ knots

Can anybody suggest a destination? Which beach? which part of Florida etc..

any info is appreciated.. Maybe you can point me to a post that describes all that alreay..

-Regards,

Dmitry.

April is still during our windy season. Much of the wind comes with cold fronts during this time of year. Despite this there can be lulls and an absence of wind so be prepared for non-wind activities. This may be a consideration in where you choose to go. If you have good frontal winds most of the Florida can have nice riding conditions. That is a LOT of coastline and potential launches.

Flat to choppy describes the Florida Keys and parts of the West Coast of Florida. There are large areas of the Intracoastal Waterway in parts of the central east coast that have less waves as well. You may have better wind on the east coast, maybe, but you may also have waves. The waves are a big draw for some of us.

Have a good trip!