PDA

View Full Version : To all the kiting parents out there!

Steve-O
10-18-2010, 07:36 AM
As most of you know, through the years I have had the opportunity to take my daughter out kiteboarding with me on lightwind days. Her first ride was in a kitebag on my back when she was 3. We then got to putting her on the board in front of me as soon as she felt comfortable with it. Well yesterday, now she is 5, we went on our first down winder trolley and all. What a blast we both had. Just amazing. The only downer is if she gets any taller, her head is going to start hitting the spreader bar. LOL!

I guess the next step is to start working on her own kite skills if she wants. Trainer is the obvious choice.

My point is, I see alot of parents get pulled away from kiting because of schedules. It doesn't have to be that way if you get a little creative. Just like anything, take baby steps and you just might have the best kiting partner in the world.

Do you have any stories to share?

Danimal8199
10-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Thats awesome, but where was the wind??? I guess I missed it, seabreeze?

Steve-O
10-18-2010, 01:03 PM
It was light but whitecapping pretty good. Breeze was cool so had a little extra punch. My 16 Crossbow did the trick. A 14m would have been a struggle. We just went for a cruise...you didn't miss much.

Carrying an extra 40lbs was an eye opener. So glad I only weigh 145lbs soaking wet. I have a huge respect for the larger rider out there making it happen in the light stuff.

RM3001
10-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Try taking your daughter out when she is 105lb and she crushes your throat hanging on. Makes for a short ride but still loads of fun. Surprisingly it is not too difficult once you are up and planing because you can adjust your stance a bit to make it more comfortable. Took my gf's 5yr old out and it barely felt like anyone was hanging on. I like the picture of Richard Branson with his "kid" riding on his back. Now that looks like fun!!!