PDA

View Full Version : A Different Kite Camera Perspective

ricki
10-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Decided to put these first clips in one location. Cameras have been on kites for a long time, even GoPros. Looking out the back of the kite offers a different sort of view accented by the wide angle lens of the GoPro. It is easy to do this, I used two helmet mounts to strap the GoPro on the central batten close to the leading edge. There are lots of ways to do this. I rotated the camera housing as far back looking downward from the kite as it would go, not that far either. I recommend tying a good leash to something that won't fall off from the camera and securing it to the kite. Make sure that the leash or any of the straps won't flap in front of the lens. I wouldn't slam the kite down on water or land with this setup, otherwise it seems to work well.

The first one off Hillsboro Inlet at sunset.

Down at Crandon Park in light wind.

Another sunset inlet light wind session. At least we have nice wind this week! The camera was aimed forward this time. Think I prefer the backwards view in the above two videos more.

A newer video shot during the Cabrinha Dealer meeting in Bimini in the Bahamas. We did a mangrove kiting session in the backcountry captured from the kite and helmet POV.

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album04/Wreck_rocks_s.jpg
Riding in 10 ft. swells and high wind off the windward shore of Klein Curacao recently capturing grounded tanker being pounded by surf.

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album604/2_Klein_Curacao_Wreck.jpg
The same wreck shot with a helmet mounted GoPro HD camera

spleeft
10-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Way to get creative RickI ! I like the view out the back because you can film your friends!
I've just posted my latest kitecam vid.
Dean

ricki
07-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Looks good Dean! I have added some more videos to the thread shot from the kite POV. Have lots more in the can, take SO long processing video unfortunately. Some great ones are in the cooker, stay tuned ...

experienced1
07-07-2011, 09:51 AM
pretty simple to mount the GoPro to the center strut using the GoPro wrist mount
steve

ricki
07-07-2011, 10:00 AM
I picked a wrist mount up with that in mind. It isn't large enough to fit near the leading edge of larger kites, perhaps further back. It seems very loose without a rubber band fix even when used as intended on your wrist though. Have you tried mounting two GoPros on the kite with different perspectives or shooting video and stills? I thought about it but have yet to do it.

pretty simple to mount the GoPro to the center strut using the GoPro wrist mount
steve