PDA

View Full Version : Down wind race

gozokiteboarding
10-02-2010, 08:44 PM
I was wondering if poeple would be intrested in a down wind race starting in fort pierce or a coarse race by the fort pierce inlet. I have been approached by blue water grill and southern eagle distributors asking me to put on event here. I was just wonding if I took steps to put it together would people show up. the event would take place in mid november. Most likly just have a cheap entry fee and top three racers would take home the money raised by entry fees. any feed back on this would be greatly appreciated
Brent

kent
10-03-2010, 10:52 AM
you would probably do better with sup event at that time of the year. kite events in FL after may and before october are pretty suspect. i'd guess that participation would be pretty limited.

ricki
10-04-2010, 07:30 AM
Those are both good ideas Brent, nice sponsors too. As you probably know there are a number of good local long term riders who would enjoy something like that. I would get in touch with Greg Kuklinski and talk over some concepts. He has been kiting there since the 1990's and is plugged in with local riders. If he is too busy there are other guys up there who could help as well. Depending on the nature of the event and wind prospects, time of year you might get a number of guys from other parts of the state as well. Kent is right though, the prospects for a July event for wind and ridership are quite poor. Talk to Greg about better wind months, perhaps November through mid April or so, you could even do a wave event and wouldn't that be fun? Wind conditions keep varying by the year somewhat so it can be difficult but not impossible to improve the odds for a wind event. One thing we thought about doing years back was a one day event with short notice, potential timing announced three days out. You would have a 72 hr. warning, 48 hr. confirmation and 24 hr. go. This approach has been used at other events around the state since then. This would mean a smaller event but the odds of good conditions improve a lot. Do one or two of these and then tackle something larger? Keep us plugged in on how things are going.

gozokiteboarding
10-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Did i say july I ment november sorry about the confusion. Thanks or the advice and i have talked to gk already he said it would be great idea. And the bars on the beach all told me to just pick a day in november. They also said they would hold an after party at there bar and half on meals and most drinks. Im gonna have a lot of free time to work on this since I broke my foot yesterday

ricki
10-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Sorry to hear about your foot, hope it heals fast. Glad you've spoken to Greg, it helps to have folks involved that have put this sort of thing on before. Sounds like you have good local sponsor support which is important for a good event. Folks will come if conditions are good and the concept fun. AJ had a nice turnout out for his downwinders.** They are pretty straight forward to put on and a blast in good conditions. Each year has been different but usually November might be the first time you would want to try to put something on like this pending arrival of the winds. Of course here it is early October and we're supposed to have a week of nice winds starting today!

** http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=132

kent
10-04-2010, 12:59 PM
yep, November is great. i'd also check with Enrique from Naples and AJ as both are also planning events for November. I'd recommend parterning with AJ as his event is in the same area. u may be able to kill 2 birds with one storn. my group has a very large industry event from nov 2-7 in the bahamas. if the event is after this, count our group in for 7-10 riders. thanks.

kent

Steve-O
10-04-2010, 07:52 PM
FYI

Gulfcoast Kiteboard challenge that got delayed from last spring 2010 will still attempt to happen before the close of this year. Already have over 75 registered riders.

ricki
10-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Please post or PM your planned event dates so that I can put them on the schedule. Put a call into Latino about his event, had no idea AJ was putting one on, good news about the Gulf Coast event. Know about the great ASI event for early November.

gozokiteboarding
10-04-2010, 11:28 PM
what about instead of making the race for a reward making it a charitable contest for cancer?

TritonKiteboarding
10-06-2010, 10:16 AM
From a rider's perspective it would be nice to see a Florida race / contest that is actually giving back a little money to the riders. We've got several industry events already raising great funds for cancer and similar causes. I think its a great thing and cause but give a little incentive for riders to spend their money to travel over and participate in your race and i think you'll have a much better and much more competitive turnout. My 2 Cents....

Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
10-06-2010, 01:04 PM
I agree with Triton, having a little prize money to cover travel expenses will draw a bigger crowd for sure. Most importantly, the race course should take into consideration the swim zones along the route, and each municipality should be notified well in advance of the race day.

I am extremely impressed with other organizations efforts to pair fundraising with kiting, proving that kiters are giving people, and that this sport is highly marketable to the public and partner organizations. Not to take away from the fantastic work of others, but quite simply, our sport needs help too!

Since we're throwing in suggestions for a good cause, I invite you to consider one that would keep the donations within the sport of kiteboarding, and be a direct benefit to safety, access, and of course, more kiting events!
Action Sports Foundation was created right here in Tampa Bay by local kiters, and is a 501c3 charitable organization since 8/24/2007.
While our initial efforts have been focused more on community service events, logging service hours, and creating partnerships, we also have been working on ways to be a true resource to kiters everywhere. We're getting closer to a launch date for our kiteboarding division (Kite4Life), which will really help define the connection between ASF and local kiting associations. This framework brings many, many benefits and opportunities to kiters, local associations, shops, schools, and to industry.

I invite Mr. Gozo (sent you a PM) and other event organizers, sponsors, and supporters to take a look at the ASF Family, our mission, and all the new opportunities that are upon us all.

Looking forward to a great season of events, progress, and stoke!
www.actionsportsfoundation.org

kitebdr1962
10-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Hey gozokiteboarding, give me a call..321-795-7626, This is A.J. Morgan of Kitetricity Kiteboarding and VooDoo Stand-Up Paddling....We can work together for the some cause, which I am doing, Cancer, because of a dear friend of mine who passed away a few years back, because of Brain Cancer...RIP Trace...Tritonkiteboarding, I hear your 2 cents, and I am cool with that idea, but you have to bring alot of people to these Events/Race, to make extra money to give back to the riders, you know that..Our Event is giving away products from the industry in 32 categorizes..That is alot of Stuff...So lets all work together, get all the events lined up, and lets go kiteboarding for the Cause, "Old School"...It's all about having fun and a good time....

gozokiteboarding
10-08-2010, 03:12 PM
if any one has any questions or ideas for this race feel free to call me Brent Beringhaus 772-532-5136 or email me at gozokiteboarding@gmail.com or call Kris wichmeier 772-332-6593 or email him at gozokitesurfing@gmail.com

gozokiteboarding
10-09-2010, 08:30 PM
are not yet decideded but will most likely happen in january or febuary. spots are southbeach in vero if the wind is outta the north-east and if the wind is outta the south to southeast the lauch spot will be wave land in jensen ending sport will be south jetty for pierce and after party will be held at bluewater beach grill on the beach with music and drink specials all day! entry fee will be 20 dollars. event web site will be up soon